What I Look for When I’m doing New Season Buys
So I’m in the thick of my Spring Summer 2020 buys. Over the next 2 to 3 weeks I will have completed the full SS collection to arrive in-store & online this coming September/October.
Sound like fun? Yep it is but its also really important. It’s not just about how pretty the shoes look. I look at the following things to see if a shoe will make the cut.
- FIT – As you know I can’t be more passionate about this and if you are ever lucky enough to be in-store when I’m doing one of my buys I will use your kids to fit test the samples.
- STRUCTURE – Are the shoes going to last, are they made of good quality leathers/fabrics, are the soles flexible, are they light weight.
- FASHION – Hey, we want our kids to look good too so I will look at current trends here and overseas. What worked well last season, colours also play a big part – I need to do a mix of everyday colours but also fashion colours for some fun.
- WHAT DO MY CUSTOMERS WANT? – It always has to come back to you guys. I sometimes make mistakes on styles because what I like is not necessarily what you like. And we are never going to be able to keep everyone happy. It’s a real balancing act.
- HOW MUCH DO I BUY? – This is super super hard! Do I buy more stock next season? Will the girls want pink again? If I buy that green shoe for the boys will it sell? How many of each size do I buy? There are soooo many aspects to it.
I’d love to know what you look for in a shoe.